Monday, October 15, 2012

San Francisco, CA. 10/15/12

On the road again Monday Oct. 15. Happy anniversary to Corrina and Tait, our daughter and son-in-law. Best wishes for many decades more of love and joy.

We took the 9:15 am Larkspur ferry to San Francisco. It was mostly commuters. Capacity is 444 passengers.

It was foggy!!! The 230 ft. clock tower is a landmark guiding land and water traffic. It was built in 1898. It withstood the 1906 earthquake but the time was froze at 5:16 am for a year until repaired.

Our first experience in San Francisco was to ride a trolley car.

Up the city of HILLS!!!

Past Grace Cathedral.

Past colorful row houses.

Walking to Fisherman's wharf saw more colorful houses,

Caught the trolley car again.

To the top of the crookiest street in the world.

The Cal Marching Band and cheerleaders performed in the park.

At the San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park again heard of the bar pilots who help the ships into San Francisco Bay. The Bay is funnel shaped, often hidden with fog, experiences harsh winds at times and silt often builds up sandbars at the entrance of the Bay.

Last year we learned about the buoy breeches. I tried to describe them. Here's a photo of them being used to rescue a person from a stranded ship.

During the Gold Rush the area was a town of canvas tents.

Imported pre-fab homes from China, Boston and Maine gradually replaced the ramshackle huts starting in 1849.

Granite was shipped in from China for buildings in 1852.

Sling loader were used to unload cargo to the San Francisco piers. But it was a slow process. It could take a week to unload the ship.

Ropemaking company started in 1856 used imported Manila fibers from the Philippines.

The company made rope until 1964.

San Francisco ran on horsepower. Hay was shipped in for the horses.

Looking toward the Golden Gate Bridge at lunch at Atiolos. I had cioppino, a fish stew, Phil had fish and chips.

After lunch we toured the Maritime Museum's historic ships at Hyde Street Pier. The Balclutha's, a cargo ship, first voyage from Wales to San Francisco was in 1886. It carried passengers and cargo around Cape Horn for 13 years. On return trip to Europe it carried grain.

Cargo of boxed windows from Belgium. 22,200 cases of windows shipped in 1889. 2,500 barrels of cement also shipped in 1889.

Grain shipped to Europe.

Second career was carrying lumber for three years that was used for building the Broken Hill Mine in Australia. Coal was brought on the return voyage.

They preferred the fir lumber because it was fire resistant.

Third career was as Star of Alaska for the salmon industry for 28 years.

Steering wheel and greenish colored stand is where the compass was.

Carpenter's workshop. He was so important to the ship that he had his own private cabin.

This school group is spending the night on the ship.

They will be cooking their meals. We saw them getting lessons on lowering the lifeboats.

Living room of the Captain and his family. Their daughter, India, was born on ship.

Notice the bathtub.

When we are back up deck we see the Sapphire Princess leaving port. What a contrast!!!

Hercules tugboat worked from 1908 to 1962.

Paddle wheel boat from 1867 carried mail and passengers. Steamers were the way West coast communities and industry were connected until 1930.

C. A. Thayer was a lumber schooner from 1895 to 1912. Then used for fishing from 1925 to 1950.

Amazing to think of schooners so load with lumber and traveling the seas.

Eureka, a commuter ferry boat, was built in 1896. At night it transported freight cars. Its bottom is sheathed in copper to make it slip through water.

This is one of three sections of benches. It could carry 3,500 passengers. From 1922 to 1941 for the 7:30 and 5:15 commute it carried 2,200 passengers at trip from Sausalito to San Francisco.

Benches on the lower level were taken out to accommodate cars.

They served 64 diners a full meal on the 32 minute commute.

The first fast food service.

A young Japanese sailor left Osaka on May 12, 1962 with the dream of sailing to America. Four months later he sailed into San Francisco Bay like any sailor returning from a day sailing. He returned to Japan but donated his Mermaid to San Francisco.

Another sighting of the Golden Gate Bridge as we take the ferry back to our RV in Greenbrae.

On the way we passed San Quentin Prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment